Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What Was I Thinking?

Hi.  It's not such great idea to drive off with your garage open when your cute beekeeping husband just harvested 55 frames of honey the night before. It makes for unloading your groceries a little tricky. Just sayin.

So the story goes on.... over 2 hours later....2 nasty bee stings later...he had once again  moved each of the 55 frames and dusted off all the bees and had them tucked away safely. It took a lot of smoking and leaf blowing magic to get all those bees out of our garage and back where they belonged. In the short time they were out, the bees managed to rob back three full frames that were uncapped.  They had those frames cleaned right up with not a drop left behind.  Those were some busy bees.


I decided I better get busy and make some kind of redeeming dinner. I had a roasted chicken and I made this amazing Tangy Pear and Bleu Cheese Salad found here (it has five stars for reason..YUM!) and some delicious Caprese topped bread.  It was a lovely meal and Mark was a rock star.  No complaints about the bike ride he missed because of my dumb mistake.  I love him.
 You can see the red above his right eye...the next morning it looked like this:


9 comments:

Valli said...

55 frames, that's awesome!
Hopefully it's still all there. I'd like to hear how you got all the bees out of the garage. That must have been a task. Good thing you both have super mad honey skills.

Lindsay said...

Yikes!

Emily said...

That's horrible! Poor dad. But that last picture did make me laugh a little. He's still a stud, even with a swollen eye. I bet the honey tastes great this year- bottle up some extra good ones for me when I see you in DECEMBERRRR! And don't forget the Jiggy Sticks- I think I'm going to run out fast :) xo

Reed & Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Jacklins said...

You're a good man...Mark Firth! :)

Scott Flinders said...

Ouch!

Karen said...

OH Lisa I can't help laughing my head off. That happened to me too. My whole garage was a big beehive the whole time he was extracting in there. We now harvest many miles from the beehives. Wish us luck - we are gathering the frames tonight and extracting tomorrow. There are some things you can only learn by experience! Sorry to have such a laugh at Marks expense

Lisa said...

Ummm...just a tiny bit hilarious now that it's all over with! So sorry about the sting Mark. But I'm sure it was all worth it once he tasted his delicious dinner!

Linda C said...

I did laugh (just a little)...what did your patients say when you showed up at work like that? What a saint you are...enjoy the fruits of your labors.