Sunday, August 4, 2013

The End of An Era




Our family reunions always revolve around what we lovingly call, "Good Groceries!" This year didn't disappoint.  We had a wonderful pot luck breakfast with many family favorites, as well as a new one we were all happy to line up for and try.  Scott and Lisa shared Cinnamon Roll Pancakes and they were a BIG hit!  They served them with a yummy syrup that was full of cream cheese goodness.


The weight of the sugar in the cinnamon swirl cause the cake to sink in where it was added.


Our time was short that morning so I was flitting around from table to table chatting, but not snapping many photos.  I think my mom did a better job!  We enjoyed the pretty summer morning under the Bowery and then headed over to Dad and Mom's garage for what my dad called, a dry run for after the funerals. WHAT?





Over the past week my parents have been busily sorting through many of my dad's horse stuff, fishing stuff, gun stuff and camping stuff that they decided were no longer useful items to them.  It was time to clean out the garage and true to their fashion, very orderly, find new homes for many sentimental items and some just hopefully useful items. 



I think the best part of the bittersweet experience was to listen to my dad walk around and share stories and memories from many of the earthly possessions he has collected, loved and used over the years.  Some of the best stories were shared before I thought to turn on my video.  Below is a snippet of us gathered in the garage.



(This is better viewed small...the quality didn't transfer - at all!)

My brother, Tracy was in charge of running this whole thing.  The seven of us siblings drew numbers right out of the famed Coffee Pot my Uncle Tom made for my dad many, many years ago. This pot has been eye witness to countless pack trips and camp outs. 1-7 then 7-1 would have their pick.  It was interesting to watch as my siblings and I took turns choosing things that were sentimental to us.  Lots of memories to smile back on and have good laughs over.  This is only the beginning for days like this in the future.  We don't want to think about the day we lose our parents....but are so thankful for what they have taught us and for the time we have had together as a family.




I would have loved one of dad's saddles (his personal favorite is pictured above) but we don't have horses...or one of the nifty guns....but I don't shoot...



 So I chose his 8'6 Wet Fly Wright and McGill Green Hornet Rod/Reel. 


I have countless memories of fishing trips with my dad 
and eating those tasty Brown's fresh out of the Provo River. 
I think I have some Fly Fishing lessons in my future and I happen to be married to a pro!




Among other items we thought our children may be able to use, I picked this Point Judith Sign.  It's actually from my mom's Dad but we have dear memories associated with this place, and who doesn't love cool old metal signage!?  It's new home will be in the studio.





 * * *
Something to SMILE About:
Molly asked her Great Grandma Joan who the iPad belonged to and my mom told her it was hers but she didn't really know how to work it very well.   She looked up at her with a twinkle in her bright blue eyes and said, "Do you want me to show you how?" It's just the way life goes!  The young ones teaching the older ones.  It sure made my mom laugh.  I think she actually taught her a thing or two that she will remember.  Molly at the tender age of three can take a photo and have it posted on instagram before her mom can turn around.  They are such smarties, these little ones and it is such a delight to watch them conquer this modern world.


We ended the day with hours of fun at 7 Peaks in Provo.
We love our family.

4 comments:

the firths said...

Flinders/Firth events are always accompanied by good food!

Jake Lindsey Molly Owen said...

Such a fun quick trip. Thanks for letting us snag a ride down.

Allllll of us grandkids sure are lucky to have the BEST grandparents!

Unknown said...

What sweet parents you have. I could feel the pioneer heritage just looking at those photos!

Also, those pancakes are to die for! We culinary class served them to the students last year. They stay with you for days!

Unknown said...

That should have been 'My class ...."