Sunday, June 14, 2009

It's All About Family


First off, how very blessed was I to grow up in such a beautiful place? 
This photo was taken last Thursday evening in my parents backyard.


 My Mom just had a partial knee replacement so I went down to spend a little time with them and see if I could be of any help.  As usual, everything was pretty much in perfect order.  Dad has been doing a great nursing-cook-maid-errand boy job so besides a little weeding they didn't really have much for me to do. So ... we chatted and had a good time catching up.  Finally mom said I could make her a Lemon Meringue Pie if I really wanted to and Dad said he would love a fresh Strawberry Pie - so out came the apron and away I went.  Lucky for all of us they turned out pretty good!

Mom is on her way to a quick recovery.  
She is great and reminds us all 
that we ain't no sissies in this family! 


When I returned home, my brother Tracy was up in Logan with four of his wonderful children. (His wife Alyssa & oldest daughter, Audrie were away at Girl's Camp) Tyler & Morgan were attending a Basketball Camp.  We got a lot of one-on-one time with Jim and Avery.  LUCKY us!
We made a trip to the little zoo here in town and had a great time checking out the many residents there (Even if most of them were birds - I think it was a great stroll on a beautiful day!) The little monkeys are very entertaining.

Cool Bald Eagles and sooo many varieties of ducks!  The peacock put on a real show for us and we won't bore you with all the photos we took - but we really enjoyed ourselves.  I have to tell you about a very funny thing, though.  We were looking in one of the cages and Jim spotted this adorable little mouse that had just made himself a little home in the rocks and was happily entertaining us with his antics.  There was a couple standing right next to us and they were struggling to see what was in the neighboring cage they were viewing.  I decided they must see this little guy so I tapped the lady on the arm and said, "Excuse me, there's a mouse ...  and that was the end of it.  She jumped and shrieked and I nearly fell to the ground laughing. My intent was to share, not scare!  (Although I find great pleasure when I succeed in a good scare.) But it sure was funny!
Avery is enjoying some shaved ice and if I would have included the other photo that was suppose to be here - you could see Jim and his every-flavor-they-had concoction!



One of our all time favorite summer sandwiches is pictured below.  
I will be linking the recipe soon.  (Thanks, Shauna!)
It is divine and summer flavor at it's best!


Here we have Emily finally getting her birthday cake 
with two cuties to help her blow 
out the candles.  
This cake recipe must also be shared.  (Thanks, Shelley!) 
Unbelievably delicious. 

We have the best extended family in the world.  The sad thing is that our times together are far and few between!  One good thing about that is when do get some time together it is heavenly!
Looking forward to summer of fun memories with ALL of you!
Just a little teaser ... stay tuned for Mark's unfortunate event.  We need a few more days of colorful pictures - they get better every day!  AND - my camera gratefully thanks all of you kind,  well-wishers.  She seems to have made a pretty good recovery - and yes, Kris - it was my good lens. whew!

6 comments:

The Jacklins said...

It was fun to see you! Looks like good times with Tracy's family! Your yard looks AWESOME! Best wishes for Mark!

quippish endeavor said...

cant wait for the recipes! looks like your summer is already off to a busy/fun start!

xo

Shauna said...

Family times are Fabulous!!! I don't blame the lady; mice are groooossss!!!!

Scott Flinders said...

That looks like some good pie and I busted a gut at the mouse story. Very funny!

Can't wait to hear the details of the evil tramp...

Anonymous said...

Oh Leisa and Mark, what great memories for our children. Thanks for taking such good care of them and sharing your time with them. They had a ball at your house and will not forget it. The mouse story is too funny. You guys are awesome! ps - the grilled cheese sandwiches are very tasty. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Neil J said...

We loved having you down to take care of us. We loved our pies especially the lemon which I hardly ever get. And your Dad was happy too.
Thanks a bunch for all you always do.
Mom