Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Knighthood...And MORE!

Family History fascinates me! It's such a thrill to put personality and purpose to a name printed on piece of paper. I am currently taking a Family History Class through BYU that requires me to write a 25-40 page paper covering two generations before my birth. The time has come to decide who to write about and I decided to look into the life of Amos Herrick (5 great grandpa's back) who served in the Revolutionary War under George Washington. While poking around I discovered Sir William Eyrick (Herrick) and his wife, (Lady) Joan May. William was knighted in 1605. Turns out that he was a goldsmith for King James. William was born at Beau Manor Park, Leicestershire, England in 1557. "He was a successful coureir & politician from 1575, when he first attached himself to the Court of Queen Elizabeth by whom he was commissioned on an important embassy to the Ottomon Porte." (Whatever all that means!)

Williams parents where John & Mary Heyrick (Herrick). I found the following epitaph (exact spelling kept) on the tombstone of John Heyrick in some of my readings:

"Here lieth tlie body of John Heyrick, late of the Parish, who departed this life ye 2d of Aprill, 1589, being about the age of 76. He did marry Marie, ye daughter of John Bond of Wardende, in Countie of Warwicke, Esquire, and did live with Mary, in one house, full fifty-two years; abd in all that tyme, never buried man, woman, or chiild, though they were sometimes twenty in house-hold. He had yssue by ye sais Marie, 5 sonnes and seven daughters. The said John was mayor of this towne in anno 1559, and again in anno 1572. The said Marie departed this life ye 8th of December, 1611, being the age of 97 years. She did see before her departure, of her children, and to the number of 142."

So Daddy, Neil. You and mom, only number posterity to 57
- you have a little time ahead of you! :)




Beaumanor is now a convention center. (We printed this booklet out and it is very interesting to read!) It stayed in the family hands until just preceding World War II.
The present Beaumanor is at least the third house in the same spot. Now a trip to Leicestershire is on my bucket list.

Another neat fact is that the Manor was used as a intelligence center during World War II. A little bit about that here. There were several buildings on the Herrick's 6,000 + acre property. Ye Olde Bulls Head is rumored to be haunted by the ghost of a servant girl. (See #1. on the link)

Here is someone's rendition of what the family crest was like.


The motto "Virtu Omnia Nobilitat" translates to
"Virtue Ennobles All Things"

Another neat link is here. You can read a little bit about the history of the Herrick name and its origin and also about Beaumanor Hall and Park. I have printed off pages of the history of "our Herricks" from this site if you would like a copy I am happy to share.



Now we can speed up time and jump to Salem Massachusetts in the late 1600's. Here we meet Henry Herrick and his lovely wife, Editha. (Jake & Lindsey: should this have been a consideration for a name? Kidding.) I read somewhere last night where they started a congregation and were very religious people. Check this out about our great, great, etc uncle, Henry's brother, Joseph.

Now lest I bore you all with my ramblings I will close leaving this food for thought. Hope it was interesting to someone in our family. :)

One more thing before I get back to my research -
One of Dad's (Mark's) ancestors hated snakes (imagine that!) His name was Matthew Young. Whenever he saw one he would yell,
"Hi cha rubisha besta!"
I really want to know what that translates to!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so neat! I didn't know I had a great, great, great, great, great, GREAT grandfather that served for George Washington in that one war! Or or or that I had a reletive (who knows how many greats) that was a KNIGHT (in shining armor?)!! I think that's so cool!

xo
Audrie

Jake Lindsey Molly Owen said...

Lindsey and Molly say thanks for the bedtime stories! Its pretty cool they lived to be that old such a long time ago...your post made me want to do a little research of my own.- Jake

Scott Flinders said...

Great research, Leisa! That's very interesting stuff.

By the way, I think "Hi cha rubisha besta!" means "Somebody put that miserable beast out with the rubbish!" :)

Nemesis said...

Hey, Beaumanor Hall! I never saw it when I lived in Leicestershire, but a friend of mine got married and had her wedding reception there. It was gorgeous, of course.

Eric said...

Very interesting reading. I discovered some years back that Sir William was my 10th great grandfather on my maternal grandmother's side. I hope to make it across the pond someday to see the old family home.