Monday, July 25, 2011

She Is On Her Way


She requested Dave's meat, dads homemade bread.  After a Cupcake send-off and many hugs and tears she is on her way to a brand new world.  The two concerns we had with her traveling alone were her connection in Dallas and wondering how she was going to man-handle her gigantic pieces of heavy luggage through customs in Brazil.  We were in line getting her boarding passes and checking her luggage - I asked the lady behind the counter if she was familiar with the Dallas Fort-Worth Airport.  She said, yes.  The next thing I remember was this sweet girl in line behind us saying, "Hey...I can walk her to her connection!  I have a three hour layover and I would love to help!" She must have thought I was a crazy lady because I said, "really?" and turned away to fight back a soon to be erupting volcano of tears.  I have been praying for angels to attend her on her journey to Brazil....and here we were standing next to one!




 This is the sweet blessing that made all the difference in her airport experience. (In the craziness of the moment, I have forgotten her name.) We watched the two of them chatting happily in line and go through security together.  It was nothing like we expected, but everything we could have hoped for.
 Em's new friend moved to Europe when she was 21 and lived there for almost 7 years.  She will be the perfect person to ease her into International travel. And just look at that smile! She will do great!!
 Saying goodbye was hard...but the world should be proud of us, we did it in a very graceful manner.  It's so wonderful to have the peaceful feeling we do.  It will be very exciting to hear about her travels and share this very exciting journey with her. (And hoping all goes well with her arrival in Brazil)
She plans on blogging about her experience here. We'll link from our sidebar.

* She arrived!!  About 4:30 am we got a phone call from Em.  She said everything went really well.  It was tricky managing her baggage but she made it!  They had to check her carry-on because it was a little bit too big.  She missed her toothbrush when she got off the plane, but everything was fine.  She was seated next to an older lady from Brazil who was so kind and sweet to her.  She told me she was very helpful when she was filling out the immigration papers. Alcides and Mariza (her Brazilian parents) were there to greet her with open arms.  We didn't think Mariza would be there because she has a daughter-in-law due any minute with a baby.  Good Luck, Emily!  We can't wait to hear your stories!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

You are in fact...very brave, and your dear Emily, is my hero! I can't tell you how impressed I am with her attitude and sense of adventure. But I wouldn't expect anything less, she is a Firth after all. I look forward to fabulous updates from our local girl in Brazil.

Jason said...

I'm so happy that you had a good send-off. I wish I could have been there, but having a good time with Kimberly and her kids on the other side of the country (see the video here:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150322785055110&comments

Mamma Mariza called to let me know that both she and Spilla are sleeping at the airport hotel tonight so there can be no messup in picking her up in the morning. Despite what it may seem with their crazy lack of email response, they are really going the extra mile to make sure she has a good experience. I'm happy to share such special people with you.

Wanna try to do a teleconference again tomorrow or Wednesday?

Much love,

Jason