Sunday, September 27, 2009

Denver


This past weekend, Mark & I enjoyed another little get-away. September has been the month to go for us! He had a Hospice Convention in Denver and I was lucky enough to get to tag along. Here is a very longish post about our 3 day immersion on a pretty fun little city!

We checked into the Hyatt Regency right next to the Convention Center, where Mark's conference was being held. Nice place. We had a little mix-up with his luggage, but things were soon sorted out. For some great comedy, be sure to visit Denver whilst they host a National Beer Festival. Pretty entertaining on the streets at night.

Denver get Kudos for wonderful art to be found everywhere you look!
They have done a beautiful job with their fair city.



Just for Reed - it's another wonderful souvenir for his collection from his Fav Auntie!!




Spent a gorgeous fall day exploring a little bit. I headed for Pearl Street (South Denver) to hunt down a couple of shops I had read about on a blog. What a great little area. I loved The Green Monkey Baby, Jewelers Gallery (all local artists), 5 Green Boxes (My favorite), Bell Studio & Gallery (They even had a beautiful hooked rug in the gallery!), Paper Talk and Polkadot. It was just one of those perfect days to savor. And lunch was the cherry on top!! Gaia's bistro. There is sooo much good food in this world and I love to sample it ALL! I had a scrumptious Roasted Tomato & Fresh Mozzarella/Pesto Toasted Sandwich with the most divine Carrot Coconut Ginger Soup. It is my mission to re-create that soup! I may even make a phone call and ask for the recipe. I don't usually choose or enjoy dining by myself, but this time it really was an easy thing to do :)






We are Foodies....and it is the joke at our house that I am always taking photos of yummy food. I don't know why I like to do that. I just do. It makes me happy. I guess it could be kind of like a photography diet - take more photos, eat less food. Only it doesn't always work quite like that.
Great suggestion from Janell! "VESTA" What a nice place. We had reservations after the game on Friday night. (Don't share a footlong hot dog before coming here to dine - there will never be enough room for all the morsels you will want!) This is probably some of the best food we have EVER had. It's a dipping grill so you choose your entree and it comes with 3 suggested dipping sauces. You may swap them out for any of the dozens offered. I had the Smoked Chicken and Mark had Scallops. The service was top-notch and the atmosphere was perfect.
What a lucky find! Thanks, Janell!


The photos aren't too hot, but a nice reminder for us. They served crusty bread with a head of roasted garlic. mmmmm. Please try it out if you are ever in the area. We say it's worth the splurge. We shared a salad with the best roasted onion dressing. Sadly there was no room for dessert that night. Darn hotdog!





The Denver Art Museum is a work of art in itself. wOw. Talk about every possible angle. Check out this link to see some very cool photos of this gorgeous building. A true work of art... & filled with so many treasures - it makes your head spin.


The collections they had in this place were really remarkable. We were overwhelmed trying to take it all in. The 6th floor with all the European Art was closed for remodeling. Thank heavens! I can't imagine try to absorb all of that as well!
We only had about 3 hours to spend here. Guess we'll just have to make another trip back. The best part was we happened to be there on a "FREE" day!

*Mad Greens* for a delicious, light lunch. Why can't EVERY city have one of these??

I was thrilled to find pieces from civilizations that I studied last year in my World History class. The pieces right below are from the Tang Dynasty (619-900 BC) and the wooden horse from the Han Dynasty (206-220 AD)



I just love this guy. It's all in the way you hold your toes.
He is worth a double click!


People have been around for a very long time. What a treat to see the talent and interesting ways they have interpreted each other over the centuries. We loved the happy expressions on so many of the creations. Life must have been very hard for so many, but they still found ways to experience joy.




Ok, Liam - Look at these foxes!! They were all over the place. This exhibit was fascinating! Can you spot Papa? Can you spot a red fox? (Double click for a bigger view)



Take Me Out to the Ball Game!
Is there anything more American or more fun than watching a game in a beautiful stadium
with a lively crowd, fresh roasted peanuts, a foot-long hot dogs, friends and the ball players!!?
We were treated to a game at the Coors Stadium - such a beautiful place. We were about 20 rows up behind 3rd base. Great seats! We were thinking about our cute nephews who would have loved this game...as well as our favorite neighbor, Iva Lou. What a blast!!

• Yorvit Torrealba hit a walk-off sacrifice fly scoring Troy Tulowitzki in the bottom of the ninth. It was the first game-ending sacrifice fly by a Colorado player since 2007.

Thank you Denver for a great weekend visit! We'd love to go again.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I love Denver, except for the winds in the Spring, and the traffic. There are so many great restaurants. I am hoping you made it to the Great American Quilt Factory while you were there. What a fun get away!

deerhollow said...

That didn't happen this time. Sad. I didn't have a car and it was too far to walk from the last transit stop. But there were lots of other great things to see and do.

Kris said...

Sounds like so much fun! I am so ready to go somewhere for a break...and I don't mean St. George!

quippish endeavor said...

i'm so glad you guys had a good time! and i'm totally jealous of all the delicious food! thanks for letting me try vesta vicariously through you. :)

xo

Anonymous said...

I don't know what I am more jealous of, the baseball game or the Denver Art Museum.... because.... yes... I do love art!.... :) Sounds like your trip was wonderful and full of good food as well. Glad you had a great time.

Jason said...

Looks like you had your usual fun time together. The last time I visited my firm's Denver mecca, I also stayed at the Hyatt and ate at Vesta. Great places. I hope someday our trips will converge.