Thursday, September 3, 2009

Marathon Runners Inspire!


"You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can't know what's coming."
Frank Shorter

"To describe the agony of a marathon to someone who's never run it is like trying to explain color to someone who was born blind."
Jerome Drayton

"I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."
Jesse Owens

We can't all be heroes because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."
Will Rogers

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
Doug Larson

"We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon."
Emil Zatopek

"The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."
Robert Frost


On the same day as the Cache Valley Century, our valley also hosted the Top of Utah Half Marathon.  (and Top of Utah Marathon in September)  
Marathons are great - they are more than great, they are inspiring to the core!!  The quote that best matches me at this minute would have to be that of Will Rogers.  The others I ponder and think hard about and wonder what I should and could be doing to become a stronger person.  I am surrounded by many who inspire me in so many ways.  The best immediate and extended family anyone could ever hope to acquire.  We have friends who are like family that teach and nurture and carry us when  
we can't walk on our own.  

Life is good and life is hard.  
Mark tells us that those two things make joy.  
We have joy in every day if we look for it.

My sister-in-law, Lisa, and my sister-in-law Lisa (that's right.) and her husband - my brother, Scott  (whew) are ready to catch the bus to the top of Blacksmith Fork Canyon.  It's early, dark and chilly.  They have goals and are ready to do it!  
We love them and are so proud of them.




Lisa met a new friend - runners do that, you know.  
Runners help each other out.  
It's just the way it is.
Running teaches us many things in many ways.  
Even if we aren't a runner (me)... yet.



Greg is watching those who followed him. 
He is a good friend of Brady.



Scott & Lisa are nearly finished.  
I wonder what their quotes would be....



Liam raided the runner's snack table.  
He didn't waste a droplet of the sweet goodness.



Julia Barrett.  A gifted woman.  Strong, humble, clever. A writer, a mother, a sister, a daughter, a wife, and auntie, a new widow... a friend and inspiration to more people than she may ever know.  We love Julia!  She has run dozens of marathons and will most likely has dozens left to run.  When I am 78 I want to be just like her.  
I better start running!

Congratulations on another feather in your cap!









It was a good day.
Thank you for teaching us and letting us share in your triumphs!

4 comments:

Scott Flinders said...

My quote is "Wow! That was a long way!"

Lisa's is "I hurt all over and I'm never doing this again!"

:)

Anonymous said...

Inspiring to all involved, young, old and in between! :) Nice post, Leisa.

The Jacklins said...

I like this post! Everyone did such a good job, each with a different role! So much to learn from hard tasks! Congrats all around!

deerhollow said...

testing...Kris, It worked!!