Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bee-utiful Day in Cache Valley



A little update about our girls. All three hives survived the winter. That was the first time we have not lost 1/3 of our bees - the typical thing that I happens, we hear. Hive number 3 is extremely strong. We will put the feeders on tonight. Below you can see the queen herself - right in the center of the photo (sorry the focus wasn't on her). It is energizing to go out and watch them at work ~ especially when the hive is opened up like this. It truly fascinates me! Hive 1 & 2 aren't as strong. #1 had some brood - hive #2 didn't have any. That means they most likely lost their queen. Mark "borrowed" some brood from #3 and we will see if they decide to make their own queen. Did you notice the hint of green on the tree behind my cute guy?? :)





5 comments:

quippish endeavor said...

i can't wait to taste this season's honey! congrats on the success of your lady bees!

xo
-janell

Lindsay said...

Wow...that is so neat.

Jake Lindsey Molly Owen said...

yes! love the green! and the honey!

xo

Scott Flinders said...

Fun times! We had two of three hives survive the winter. One of them was extremely strong, so I tried my first split. We'll see how it goes.

Good luck with yours!

Alycia said...

That is pretty incredible! Speaking of bees and honey, I need to come buy a couple quarts of honey from you. Let me know when a good time would be that I could come by. You can call or text me. 435.881.1636. :)