Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Car Roof Tops...

Car roof tops aren't the best place to place items.  Ninety-something% of the time you will leave the item there and drive off.  Six weeks ago Davis set his cell phone on the roof of the mini.  I had no idea it was there and 20 minutes later I received a phone call at JoAnn's Fabric store...."Mom, I left my phone..." I couldn't believe it was still sitting there.  Last week Mark and I left for Salt Lake with my Tablet and cord sitting on the roof of the mini.  We were a mile down the road when we heard this whipping noise - it was the cord flapping on the window!  Tablet safe and sound. However - I left it at Lindsey's but that would be another story.  Once I left my wallet sitting on the back of the bumper on the suburban.  After frantic honking and pointing of a passerby driver we pulled over on the freeway to see what the problem was.  There was my wallet.  We were almost to Salt Lake! This morning, Camber was rushing off to class.  She has her hands full with breakfast muffins and her backpack.  She places her iphone on the top of the car while she loads things up.  BAD idea.  As she is humming down Bangerter Highway, a three lane highway, mind you...she watches in her rear view mirror as her phone flies off the roof of the car and explodes behind her.  Poor Camber. She has not had the best of luck the last little while.  From a bad case of hives to jaw surgery life has been a bit smuggy, if that's a word??  She messaged me on skype and I told her I was going to pray for her and her phone and hopefully something would work out.  Sadly, she didn't have insurance on the phone.  I begin the grim search of a refurbished phone online...it doesn't look too hopeful. Would you really dare buy one off of ebay???  I don't think I would. Before long I get a message asking me to wish her luck - class was over and she was going back to look, just in case.  We believe in miracles.  Big and small.  We believe in answers to prayers.



The exploding she saw must have been the cover for her phone flying off.  This is what she found lying quietly on the dotted white line down the middle of the three lane highway.  Well over an hour later.
 Can you believe it?  I can.  Because because miracle happens.  Big and small.
The back was totally shattered but the phone was still on and working!  The screen on the front doesn't have a scratch on it.  She also found the cover and will now look for some place that will do repair work.  She counts her blessings and heads off to her first day of work...at Jimmy Johns.  
At least for the time being.

BTW...all you fun people out there who visit our blog....
Drop us a comment....our box has been very quiet...we love hearing from you!

And remember...don't place any item on the roof or the bumper of vehicle. 
Ever.
Not worth the risk.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Poor Camber!
Ed ALWAYS leaves stuff on the top of the car. It's a miracle he hasn't stuck one of our kids up there. The one that had me laughing the most was his brand new laptop went flying off the top of the car, bounced onto the freeway, and as it was still on the upward bounce it hit the grill of a semi truck. I hope she can get it fixed or get a new one. I know the apple store in SLC can be compassionate depending on what they have lying around the store that day.
When some little brat at church stole my iphone this summer I got a new 3gs for $20 from AT&T but I had to extend my plan two years.

Lindsay said...

Wow...I'm glad her phone was safe! :) Those were some good stories.

Lisa said...

So...when our kids leave things on top of the car we never have miracles, only lost wallets, keys, and broken cell phones.

Maybe since Apple just released a new iPhone they'll have some extras floating around. And if she's really desperate she can have my old one, I'm going to upgrade to the new one next week. Love that Camber!

Valli said...

Dave left his only motorcycle key on top of our jeep one day. After a frantic morning the next day he took the truck to work. Later that morning I heard something slide off the roof as I was gaining speed in the middle of a 5 lane highway on a bridge. Even though I didn't see a thing in the mirrors the realization hit me. Leaving my new born in a locked vehicles as close as I could park to the bridge I ran back to try and find it. I spotted it just as a semi truck ran it over. It flew across three lanes and landed 8 inches from my toe. I hurried off the bridge with dave's little treasure towards our bigger treasure of a daughter sleeping soundly and saying prayers of thanks for not dying, finding the key and keeping our daughter safe in the parking lot of a sketchy institution. The key was bent but it always worked.

Alycia said...

Holy Moly! Can't believe it survived. My parents have both had some crazy things happen to theirs too, it's a miracle theirs are also working. My dad even got his replaced at the apple store at gateway for free even though he didn't have insurance on it.

the firths said...

Camber, I've decided you're just like your ipod. Glad you're both still working after exploding and getting battered. :) There are actually far more similarities if you think about it... Love you

singer said...

Fantastic wonderful story love the way you told it. Love the happy ending. We sure miss you guys.

Linda C said...

So many things left on top of car and some miracles at our home too....but miracles happen even when you drop your cell phone in the toilet!...mine is still working. Jason dried it out in the food dehydrator for me. Whoops!